Actions In Combat
|Standard Action||Attack of Opportunity1||Link for Additional Info|
|Activate magic item, Command2||No||Magic Items|
|Activate magic item, Manipulation3||Yes||Magic Items|
|Apply Oil||Yes||Magic Items|
|Drink Potion||Yes||Magic Items|
|Activate magic item, Mental2||No||Magic Items|
|Activate magic item, Scroll2||Yes||Magic Items|
|Activate magic item, Spell trigger (ex wand or staff)2||No||Magic Items|
|Aid another in combat4||Maybe||Aid Another|
|Assess Opponent (Sense Motive)||No||Influence and Interaction|
|Attack (melee)||No||Attacks and Damage|
|Attack (ranged)||Yes||Attacks and Damage|
|Attack (unarmed)||Yes*||Attacks and Damage|
|Bull Rush5||Yes||Bull Rush|
|Cast spell (1 standard action casting time)||Yes||Spellcasting|
|Cast spell (1 standard action) and touch one target||Yes||Spell Descriptions|
|Concentrate to maintain active spell||No||Spellcasting|
|Demoralize Opponent (intimidate)||No||Influence and Interaction|
|Dismiss spell||No||Spell Descriptions|
|Draw hidden weapon||No||Sleight of Hand|
|Escape from Grapple or pin (escape artist)||No||Grappling|
|Free another from fascinated condition||No||Conditions|
|Light torch with tindertwig||Yes||N/A|
|Lower spell resistance||No||Spell Resistance|
|Make a dying ally stable (DC 15 Heal check)||Yes||Injury, Healing, and Death|
|Ready (triggers standard action)||No||Ready|
|Start or complete full-round action8||Maybe||N/A|
|Throw grappling hook (Use Rope)||Yes||Escape Artist and Use Rope|
|Total Defense||No||Fighting Defensively and Total Defense|
|Use Spell-like ability9||Yes||Special Abilities|
|Use supernatural ability9||No||Special Abilities|
|Move Action||Attack of Opportunity1||Link for additional info|
|Control nonwar mount (DC 20 Ride check)||Yes||Mounted Combat (Rules)|
|Crawl 5 feet10||Yes||Movement|
|Direct or redirect active spell||No||Spellcasting|
|Draw light weapon while grappling11||No||Grappling|
|Hide after sniping||No||Movement|
|Load hand crossbow, light crossbow, or sling13||Yes||N/A|
|Make active Listen check or Spot check||No||Senses|
|Mount or dismount||No||Mounted Combat (Rules)|
|Note the direction of scent||No||Senses|
|Open or close door||No||N/A|
|Pick up item||Yes||N/A|
|Push or pull heavy object||Yes||Encumbrance|
|Ready or loose shield15||No||N/A|
|Retrieve stored item||Yes||N/A|
|Spur mount||No||Mounted Combat (Rules)|
|Stand from prone||Yes||Conditions|
|Switch hands with an item||No||N/A|
|Full-Round Action||Attack of Opportunity1||Link for additional info|
|Administer potion to unconscious creature||Yes||Magic Items|
|Apply oil to unconscious creature||Yes||Magic Items|
|Cast metamagic spell spontaneously16||Yes||Spontaneous Casting|
|Cast touch spell (1 standard action) and touch two to six allies||Yes||Spell Descriptions|
|Control nonwar mount (on failed check)||Yes||Mounted Combat (Rules)|
|Coup de grace||Yes||Helpless Defenders|
|Escape from net or entangling spell (DC 20 Escape Artist check)||Yes||N/A|
|Full attack||No||Attacks and Damage|
|Load heavy crossbow or repeating crossbow bolt case18||Yes||N/A|
|Lock or unlock weapon in locked gauntlet19||Yes||N/A|
|Open Lock||Yes||Disable Device and Open Lock|
|Plug ears with soundproof material||No||Energy|
|Prepare oil with fuse20||Yes||N/A|
|Retrieve spell component while grappling21||No||Grappling|
|Search 5 cubic feet||Yes||Senses|
|Secure grappling hook (DC 10 Use Rope check)||Yes||Escape Artist and Use Rope|
|Swift Action||Attack of Opportunity1||Link for additional info|
|Cast quickened spell||No||Spell Descriptions|
|Cast spell (1 swift action)||No||Spell Descriptions|
|Use quickened spell-like ability||No||Special Abilities|
|Immediate Action||Attack of Opportunity1||Link for additional info|
|Cast spell (1 immediate action)||No||Spell Descriptions|
|Free Action||Attack of Opportunity1||Link for additional info|
|Cease concentration on spell||No||Spellcasting|
|Fast mount or dismount (DC 20 Ride check)||No||N/A|
|Fight while war mount also attacks (DC 10 Ride check)||No||Mounted Combat (Rules)|
|Load repeating crossbow bolt from case18||No||N/A|
|Prepare spell components24||No||Spell Descriptions|
|Release grappled or pinned opponent||No||Grappling|
|Stand from prone (DC 35 Tumble check)||Yes||Movement|
|Use extraordinary ability9||No||Special Abilities|
|No Action||Attack of Opportunity1||**Link for additional info|
|Attack of opportunity26||Maybe||Attacks of Opportunity|
|Cover from mount (DC 15 Ride check)||No||Mounted Combat (Rules)|
|Duel of wills (intimidate)||No||Influence and Interaction|
|Fight defensively27||No||Fighting Defensively and Full Defense|
|Guide mount with knees (DC 5 Ride check))||No||Mounted Combat (Rules)|
|Identify spell being cast (Spellcraft check, DC 15 + Spell level)||No||Spellcraft|
|Make Concentration check||No||Concentration|
|Make passive Listen check or Spot check||No||Senses|
|Stay in saddle (DC 5 Ride check)||No||Mounted Combat (Rules)|
|Action type varies||Attack of Opportunity1||Link for additional info|
|Aid another on a check4||Maybe||Checks|
|Sunder object28, 29||Maybe*||Sunder|
- This column indicates whether an act provokes attacks of opportunity when it is performed in a threatened square. An asterisk (*) after a Yes or Maybe entry in this column indicates that an action provokes an attack of opportunity only from the target of the action. Even if this column reads No you usually provoke an attack of opportunity if you move out of a threatened square. You usually provoke an attack of opportunity from an opponent when you enter that foe's space.
- Activating this sort of magic item takes the same amount of time as casting the spell the item's power duplicates. If the power doesn't duplicate a spell, activating the item is a standard action unless its description says otherwise.
- The item's description might dictate another type of action, in which case the description takes precedence.
- If you aid someone who is performing an action that would normally provoke attacks of opportunity, then aid another provokes attacks of opportunity.
- This special attack provokes attacks of opportunity as normal for the movement involved. The attacker also provokes an attack of opportunity from the defender upon entering the defender’s space.
- Provokes attacks of opportunity as normal for movement, not for the required grapple check.
- You can attempt an overrun as a standard action taken during your movement. This is an exception to the rule that you can’t take a standard action during movement. If your target moves out of your way, you don’t use a standard action. You can choose another target to overrun if you have enough movement to make it to that target and end your movement in a legal space.
- This standard action lets you start a full-round action, which you complete in the following round by using another standard action. If you undertake an act that would normally provoke attacks of opportunity, then this standard action provokes attacks of opportunity. You can’t use this standard action to start or complete a full attack, charge, run, or withdraw.
- A special ability takes the indicated action to perform unless the ability’s description says otherwise. A spell-like ability that duplicates a spell with a casting time of less than 1 standard action has the same casting time as the duplicated spell.
- A limbless creature, such as a snake, that crawls as its normal movement can crawl at its normal speed.
- Requires a successful grapple check.
- If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you can combine this action with moving your speed. Drawing a weapon applies to any weaponlike item, such as a wand, rod, or staff, within easy reach. An item that is stored or out of easy reach must be retrieved as a stored item. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it normally takes to draw one. Wands are light, and rods are one-handed.
- Loading requires two hands.
- Moving can include using skills such as Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Swim, and Tumble.
- If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you can combine this act with moving your speed. Readying a shield means strapping it to an arm to use it. Loosing a shield means taking it off your arm and dropping it.
- Unlike with a normal full-round action, which resolves during the same turn it’s taken, a spell that has a casting time of 1 round resolves just before the beginning of its caster’s next turn.
- If you’re unable to take a full round’s worth of actions on your turn, such as during a surprise round, you can charge or withdraw as a standard action. In this case, you can move only up to your speed rather than up to double your speed.
- Loading requires two hands. A full-round action is required only to load a new case of bolts onto a repeating crossbow. Loading a bolt from a case already attached to a repeating crossbow is a free action.
- While the gauntlet is locked, you can’t use the hand wearing it. You can still cast spells that have somatic components if your other hand is free.
- This includes putting a fuse in the oil. Lighting that fuse works like lighting a torch. Oil so lit has only a 50% chance of igniting once thrown but otherwise functions as alchemist’s fire.
- Doesn’t require a successful grapple check.
- You can drop any carried item, including a shield you’re carrying (not wearing and gaining the shield bonus from), in your space or an adjacent square.
- You drop prone in your space.
- Unless the component is an extremely large or awkward item. Such an item must be retrieved as a stored item.
- You can speak even when it isn’t your turn. Long speeches aren’t free actions.
- If you make an attack that would normally provoke attacks of opportunity, then the attack of opportunity provokes attacks of opportunity.
- You can fight defensively as part of an attack or full attack.
- This attack form substitutes for a melee attack. As such, it can be used once in an attack or charge, or one or more times during a full attack. It can even be used as an attack of opportunity.
- If the object is being held, carried, or worn by a creature, yes, but only from that creature. If not, no.
- A feat’s description defines the action required and the effect. Using a feat provokes attacks of opportunity if the action involved does, or if the feat’s description indicates that using it provokes attacks of opportunity.
- The skill’s description defi nes the action required and the effect. Disable Device, Heal, Open Lock, Search, and Use Rope provoke attacks of opportunity. Skills that involve movement provoke attacks of opportunity as appropriate for the movement involved in using the skill.
page revision: 8, last edited: 05 Apr 2012 18:42