Optimistic and cheerful by nature, blessed with uncanny luck and driven by a powerful wanderlust, halflings make up for their short stature with an abundance of bravado and curiosity. At once excitable and easy-going, halflings like to keep an even temper and a steady eye on opportunity, and are not as prone as some of the more volatile races to violent or emotional outbursts. Even in the jaws of catastrophe, a halfling almost never loses his sense of humor.
Halflings rise to a humble height of 3 feet. Many prefer to walk barefoot, leading to the bottoms of their feet being roughly calloused though city dwellers soon adapt to wearing footwear. Tufts of thick, curly hair warm the tops of their broad, tanned feet. Their skin tends toward a rich almond color and their hair toward light shades of brown. A halfling's ears are pointed, but proportionately not much larger than those of a human.
Halflings are inveterate opportunists. Unable to physically defend themselves from the rigors of the world, they know when to bend with the wind and when to hide away. Yet a halfling's curiosity often overwhelms his good sense, leading to poor decisions and narrow escapes.
Though their curiosity drives them to travel and seek new places and experiences, halflings possess a strong sense of house and home, often spending above their means to enhance the comforts of home life.
A typical halfling prides himself on his ability to go unnoticed by other races—it is this trait that allows so many halflings to excel at thievery and trickery. Most halflings, knowing full well the stereotyped view other races take of them as a result, go out of their way to be forthcoming and friendly to the bigger races when they're not trying to go unnoticed.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength: Halflings are nimble creatures and quick of wit, but not physically powerful.
- Small: Halflings gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they use smaller weapons and armour than medium creatures use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Slow Speed: Halflings have a base speed of 20 feet.
- Natural Cunning: +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks.
- Fearless: Halflings receive a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear.
- Good Aim: +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
- Blessed: +1 racial bonus to all saving throws.
- Weapon Familiarity: Halflings are proficient with slings and treat any weapon with the word “halfling” in its name as a martial weapon.
- Languages: Halflings begin play speaking Common and Trade Tongue. Halflings with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Giant, Runnertongue, Squeak Speak, Sylvan, and Goblin.