|Hair:||Variable, usually black|
|Eyes:||Variable, usually brown or red|
|Gold:||487 gp 8sp|
|Played by Jennibear|
|Ability||Score||Mod||Temp Score||Temp Mod|
Temp Mod Used to track Magic Item bonuses etc
|Armor Class||Saving Throws||Base||Bonus||Total|
|Total||Base 10 +4 Dexterity = 14||Fortitude||+1||+2||+3|
|+2||+4Dex/-1Str||+4/+0||Dex = +4|
|-||U||Climb (Str)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Jump (Str)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Swim (Str)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Balance (Dex)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Escape Artist (Dex)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Hide (Dex)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Move Silently (Dex)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||-||Open Lock (Dex)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Ride (Dex)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||-||Sleight of Hand (Dex)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||-||Tumble (Dex)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Use Rope (Dex)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|c||U||Concentration (Con)||+ 7||+ 2||+ 0||+ 9|
|-||U||Appraise (Int)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|c||U||Craft (Int)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|c||-||Decipher Script (Int)||+ 7||+ 5||+ 0||+12|
|-||-||Disable Device (Int)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Forgery (Int)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|c||-||Knowledge (Int)||+ 7||+ 5||+ 0||+12|
|-||U||Search (Int)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|c||-||Spellcraft (Int)||+ 7||+ 5||+ 0||+12|
|-||U||Heal (Wis)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Listen (Wis)||+ 3||+ 1||+ 0||+ 3|
|c||-||Profession (Wis)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Sense Motive (Wis)||+ 0||+ 1||+ 2||+ 3|
|-||U||Spot (Wis)||+ 0||+ 1||+ 0||+ 1|
|-||U||Survival (Wis)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Bluff (Cha)||+ 0||+ 2||+ 0||+ 4|
|-||U||Diplomacy (Cha)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Disguise (Cha)||+ 3||+ 2||+ 0||+ 5|
|-||U||Gather Information (Cha)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||-||Handle Animal (Cha)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||U||Intimidate (Cha)||+ 0||+ 2||+ 2||+ 4|
|-||U||Perform (Cha)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|-||-||Use Magic Device (Cha)||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0||+ 0|
|c||-||Speak Language||+ 7|
-U = usable untrained
-C = class skill
Languages Known: Common, Literacy, Sylvan, Draconic, Infernal, Abyssal, Trade tongue, Undercommon, Axios, Goblin, Carnivon, Squeak Speak, Wildlander
Knowledge: Arcana, Planes
Skill Tricks go here
Spell Focus Illusion: Choose a school of magic, such as Illusion. Your spells of that school are more potent than normal.
Scribe Scroll:You can create scrolls, from which you or another spellcaster can cast the scribed spells. See the DUNGEON MASTER'S Guide for rules on scrolls.
Greater Spell Focus Illusion: Choose a school of magic to which you already have applied the Spell Focus feat. Your spells of that school are even more potent than normal.
School Specialization: Illusion (losing Evocation and Enchantment)
ACF: Immediate Magic - Brief Figment (illusion): You create a figment double of yourself (similar to mirror image). The image lasts until it is struck or until the start of your next turn.
• Changelings are humanoids with the shapechanger subtype.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, changelings have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Changeling base land speed is 30 feet.
• +2 racial bonus to any One Stat.
• +2 racial bonus on saving throws against sleep and charm effects: Changelings have slippery minds.
• +2 racial bonus on Bluff, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks: Changelings are inherently skilled in deception and intimidation; though they cannot actually detect thoughts as doppelgangers can, they can intuitively read body language and attitude with surprising accuracy.
• Natural Linguist: Changelings add Speak Language to their list of class skills for any class they adopt.
• Minor Change Shape (Su): Changelings have the supernatural ability to alter their appearance as though using a disguise self spell that affects their bodies but not their possessions. This ability is not an illusory effect but a minor physical alteration of a changeling’s facial features, skin color and texture, and size, within the limits described for the spell. A changeling can use this ability at will, and the alteration lasts until he changes shape again. A changeling reverts to his natural form when killed. A true seeing spell reveals his natural form. When using this ability to create a disguise, a changeling receives a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks. Using this ability is a full-round action.
• Automatic Languages: Common.
|Weapon||Attack Bonus||Damage||Crit||Damage Type|
|Light Crossbow, Masterwork||+6||1d8||19/20 x2||P|
|Armour / Shield||Armour/Shield Bonus||Max Dex||Armour Check||Arcane Spell Failure||Movement Speed||Weight|
|Silken web armor||+0||+12||-||-||30ft||0lb|
|Head||Item name goes here||Brief item description|
|Face||Item name goes here||Brief item description|
|Neck||Chronocharm of the Horizon walker||Half a gold sun on a fine gold chain|
|Shoulders||Item name goes here||Brief item description|
|Torso||Shiftweave||See note below|
|Arms||Item name goes here||Brief item description|
|Hands||Arcanist's gloves||Black velvet gloves marked with gold stars|
|Right Ring||Item name goes here||Brief item description|
|Left Ring||Item name goes here||Brief item description|
|Waist||Item name goes here||Brief item description|
|Feet||Item name goes here||Brief item description|
|Pack||Item name goes here||Brief item description|
List of Items Here:
Backpack (empty), Bedroll, Spell book to be used as a blank book, Caltrops, Case: scroll, Inkpen, Ink (1 oz. vial), Pouch, belt (empty), Rations, trail (per day)x4, Rope, Mirror(small steel) silk (50 ft.), Sunrodx1, Cure light wound potion x5, Scholar’s outfit, Crossbow: light, Boltsx20, Arcanist's gloves, Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, Masterwork light crossbow, Blessed Bandage, Watch lamp (Mic 147) Silken web armor ( +1 glamored )
Statistics of Items Here:
Some of the favored shapes within her Glamored armor collection
Drow halfblood Note this forms hair is left free, gracing her to mid back
Spells per Day:
|Level||Per Day||Save DC-|
- +2 for illusion spell
* One additional Illusion spell per day
10+5 int+Spell Level=???
All but Evocation and Enchantment
Shield: Invisible disc gives +4 to AC, blocks magic missiles.
Grease: Makes 10-ft. square or one object slippery.
Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
Orb of Acid, Lesser: Ranged touch attack deals 1d8 acid damage + 1d8/2 levels beyond 1st (max 5d8).
Orb of Sound, Lesser: Ranged touch attack deals 1d6 sonic damage + 1d6/2 levels beyond 1st (max 5d6).
Wall of Smoke: Wall of black smoke obscures vision and nauseates those who pass through.
Ray of Enfeeblement: Ray deals 1d6 +1 per two levels Str damage.
Acid Arrow: Ranged touch attack; 2d4 damage for 1 round +1 round/three levels.
Snake’s Swiftness: Subject immediately makes one attack.
1) Describe yourself as someone meeting you for the first time would see you. (Race?, Gender?, Age?, Size? Coloration? Attractiveness?, Dress? Do you try to emphasize or hide any of these features?)
With Layla this is extremely hard to pin down, as her appearance varies wildly from one sighting to the next. One usual constant is extreme physical beauty tending toward curvacious figures long hair, exotic eyes and a general air of perfection. This is in sharp contrast to her natural form which stands a mere 5 feet high with small breasts, narrow waist and short somewhat wild white hair. Blood red eyes and a nearly featureless face bear all the marks of a changeling though only one has seen her true face that still walks among the healthy of Therafim and he swore never to speak of her shape to anyone.
2) What other details would someone notice on a closer look? (Distinguishing marks, birthmarks, scars, etc?)
Again these vary wildly as she can change her skin to suit her whims and often does.
3) Do you have a distinctive way of speaking or any other mannerisms or memorable behavior?
Cruelty and dark amusement usually mark her encyclopedic tones, she's extremely intelligent and makes no qualms about showing this trait and using it to make others feel inferior. Its the surest way to identify the changing who rarely even gives out her name.
B: Birth and Family
1) Where and when were you born? (Also good to include: Do you know your exact birthdate? Did anything unusual (storms, accidents, deaths, etc?) happen about the same time, with which some people might still associate your birthdate?)
Born on the borderlands of Surr in late fall Layla's birth was in very few ways auspicious though it did mark nine months to the day and 6 months within a week of her parents first meeting and subsequent forced marriage due to her arrival.
2) Who are your parents? (Names, Occupations, Social class, Were they married?, Are they still alive? are all good things to include)
Mathius and Nerida Merle of the barony of Surr, both peasants of no real note. Though the pair is still married they never really got along, her mother, Nerida shares sympathy with Surr's neighbors while her father is a loyalist to the baron Surr. The pair was forced to wed after Nerida turned up pregnant and swore up down and sideways Mathius was the only possible father.
3) Do you have any siblings? (If so, it would be good to describe them as you did your parents above.)
Though she is the oldest she does have a younger brother named Alex who she absolutely detests and hasn't seen since she left home as soon as she was old enough to pass for 16.
4) Do you know any members of your extended family? (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins? Also would be good to describe them as above)
Her father has a brother and her mothers parents still live in the same Podunk border town that she escaped from but so far as she knows that's all of her heritage that remains on this green earth and she's as eager to avoid them as she is the rest of her pathetic bloodline.
5) How did you get along with your family?
Not at all. Layla hasn't seen them in 8 years and is quite content to keep it that way, thank you very much. She has no fond memories of home.
C: Education and Work
1) Did you serve an apprenticeship in order to learn your current profession/class? For how long?
2) If you were not an apprentice, how did you learn your trade/skills/ect? Formal schooling? Informal Teachers? Self-Taught?
3) Who was your master or teacher? (Race? Gender? Appearance? Personality?) Is he/she still alive? How were you treated? Are/Were you on good terms with your master?
Upon arriving in Avalon she got a job in the library, attempting to parlay her ability to read into the ability to have money to survive she soon ended up in the care of a human wizard, Darius, who saw straight through her illusion and took her under his wing in a way. He wasn't exactly a mentor but he did teach her the basics of magic in exchange for using her talent at changing her body to bed a different flawless woman every night whether or not Layla herself was interested in such adventures. Darius didn't realize she was quickly becoming adept at simple illusions and brutal in her desire for power to stop his unwanted advances. After his nightly demands of flesh one night he passed out never to wake, a knife in his throat ended that particular threat. Layla stole his form looted his spell book for herself and stole everything of value from his home before departing for a different section of the city.
4) Did your teacher have any other apprentices or students? Who were they? Did you get along?
No. He wasn't exactly stupid and didn't want the authorities getting around to noticing he was essentially molesting an underage changeling.
5) Due to the rarity of literacy in this setting, how important are books, writings, letters, ect. to your character? Regardless as to whether or not he/she can read?
Books, knowledge ad secrets are vitally important to Layla, Any book is precious regardless of what it contains. Even the simplest cooking book holds the secrets of cooking and should be preserved if at all possible.
6) Do you have a job other than "adventurer"? Who do you work for? How much of your time does this require?
Not currently, she lives off the money of adventures and the odd gig writing letters for people who can't do it themselves. Its not a glamorous life but its the starts of one.
1) Who were your friends as a child? As an adolescent? As an adult?
Layla really had no friends growing up, preferring to live with her nose in a book, hidden away in the closet of her room to avoid the constant feuding of her mother and father and the irritation of her younger sibling.
2) How many of these people are still alive? How many are you still friends with?
3) Who is/was your best friend? What is the most memorable thing that the two of you ever did together?
Also nonexistent.. Layla doesn't really have friends she has people she's met, a few who actually know her damned name and one who knows her actual face.
4) What do you look for in a friend?
Compliance, a certain legal and moral blindness, physically appealing.. powerful and willing to share.
5) Have you ever been in love? Was it reciprocated? Do you have (or have you had) a boy-/girlfriend, a lover, or a spouse? More than one? Are you looking for one? What do you look for in a romantic partner?
No, and she's not interested in love. She's had lovers, though most of them have been abusive in one way or another they are relationships fostered for their very nature of instability, never has she gotten truly close to another person. Other people get in the damned way.
E: Attitudes and Beliefs
1) What are your beliefs about religion and the afterlife? Do you follow any particular god or gods? What appeals to you most about this religion? Least?
Religion is a waste of time that can be used for other things. The after life is nonexistent, the body dies and the soul dissolves into nothing as far as Layla is concerned. The blind followers of religion irritate Layla, they don't think, don't' question simply do what their god tells them.
2) Where do spirits of nature, the elements and the dead fit into these beliefs?
Nature is all well and good, so long as it leaves Layla the hell alone, similarly to elements and elementals and the dead are dead, merely shells of what they once were, waiting for time to turn them into soil.
3) What gods, religions, or priesthoods will you have nothing to do with?
Those of particularly good natures or those that despise trickery and the pursuit of power.
4) What is your moral code? Under what conditions will you kill? Steal? Lie? Do you have a personal code of behavior about violence? Magic? Sex? Dealing with Evil Beings?
Layla's moral code is as flexible as her face and body, She'll do anything she has to to survive, though she almost seems to enjoy the power to kill, steal and get away with it due to her flexible appearance and manipulative nature. Violence has its uses, mostly applied to targets weaker than herself or incapacitated in some way or by big stupid warrior types that are easy enough to make even bigger. They have to handle stupider on their own though. Sex is something fun and that can be used for manipulation and power. Dealing with GOOD beings is more of a problem, they tend to see her evil, Self serving nature as something abhorrent that needs to be cleansed. Evil at least respects her choices.
5) How committed are you to seeing through something (a task, quest, bargain, etc) that you have started?
Fairly but not enough to get herself killed in the pursuit. She's stubborn but will cut and run if things get nasty.
6) How important are the following to you?: Power, Wealth, Fame, Honor, Family, Friends, Love, Knowledge, Religion, Your job? To what lengths would you go to acquire or preserve these things?
Power, Wealth, Knowledge: Of vital importance to the rather small changeling. All three really flow into each other, knowledge can be used for power, power breeds wealth and wealth breeds more power. Its safe to say she fully intends to be both rich and powerful.
Fame: not so much, She rarely ( read: never.) actually gives her name to employers and less than a half dozen people have gotten it out of her. Brian the bard, Sihak, a few others that have either earned a minor trust or have proven to relentless at asking to be ignored. she doesn't want fame, fame means people know her.
Honor, family, religion: All things that could go away and she'd never notice. She hates her family and has no plans on starting her own, honor is a tie to keep people behaving how other people think they should and shows they care what others think and religion is a waste of time and energy.
Friends: she has so few that each one that's managed to get through her web of dislike for humanity in general and most qualities in particular (such as honor, fair play and other nonsense) is fairly important to her. Not that she wouldn't leave them to die to save her own skin, she just might feel slightly guilty about it later.
7) How often do you remember your dreams? How much attention do you pay to them? Do they inspire you? Guide you? Inspire You? Warn you? Frighten You?
Layla dreams and remembers most of them but usually sees them as problem solving from her deeper unconscious mind and thus looks at them to see problems in her current life solved rather than some divine spark or some such.
8) What is your attitude towards magic? People who use it? Fearsome monsters? The unknown in general?
Magic is power, it is freely and warmly loved by the young wizard, people who use it not so much, especially divine casters who get it by sacrificing free will to some ideal but the magic itself is never in question, the magic itself is pure and beautiful. Fearsome monsters really usually aren't that bad speaking as a woman that keeps a kython in a cage, and the unknown should be carefully studied and researched.
F: Edges and Flaws
1) What are you especially good at? What sets you apart from the rest of the world? A skill? An unusual knack? A certain flair of style or wit?
Layla is set apart by her intellect and outlook on life, but has no particular skills or knacks that anyone knows of other than a habit of picking exceedingly beautiful faces and having a flair for style. She's extremely harsh in her ways of looking at the world and usually can be told by her dark sense of humor, even if her face never looks the same twice.
2) What flaws do you have? Bad habits? Obsessions? Terrible (or embarrassing) secrets?
She has an obsession for knowledge and power that often could be considered a flaw, and a bad habit of getting into dangerous relationships, sexually speaking to feed a masochistic streak that few know about and most that do have only seen the aftermath on her pale skin.
3) Do you have any enemies? How much trouble do those conflicts cause you?
none in particular, she doesn't usually leave people alive to hold grudges.
G: Likes and Dislikes
1) What do you love? (People? Places? Creatures? Kinds of Food? Activities? Subjects?)
Knowledge, power, a good wine and decent meal, money…
2) What do you hate? How do you typically react to these hated things?
Religion, good for the sake of good, her family. Mostly she avoids or mocks these things if forced into contact with them.
3) What do you fear? What is your worst nightmare?
That her own drive for personal violence will get her into trouble she can't get out of, as it nearly has in the past, enslavement or the sudden loss of her magical power which sets her apart from most people.
1) Describe your first encounter with a nonhuman monster. (Not counting player races, animals, etc that you grew up with, but feel free to mention them too)
She didn't have one before Avalon, so likely one of her first quests containing kobalds and undead.
2) If you are a spell caster, describe your first experience with using magic. What were the circumstances? Were you expecting it?
Layla's first experience with magic was unexpected, Around the age of 12 her parents were fighting again, as they did often, Layla, finally fed up with it raised her voice and told them off for it, telling them, basicly to grow up and shut up. The wrath of her father turned on her and as he raised his hand to beat the tar out of her illusory flames flickered to life around her. It was the last day she spent at home, using her changeling nature she left that night, passed for 16 years old and made her way to Avalon after robbing the house for all the gold it possessed.
3) If you have an animal companion or familiar, describe how you acquired it. Describe this ally's personality, and its attitude towards you. (Loyal unto death, mischievous, lazy, etc)
None: Layla doesn't even have a typical familiar.
4) If you have any unusual possessions, describe how you acquired them. Is their value practical, monetary, sentimental or some combination of these?
Her only truly unusual item is her outfit, a more powerful version of the standard Shiftweave its a spidersilk armor enchanted to shift shapes with her. it was more than she really could afford but she enjoys the freedom it offers her.
5) Please describe your characters general background, this may be any length you wish, but at least one paragraph. You may use any or all of the information above, or new information not covered. (Encouraged)
Layla is a child of a household that never worked, her mother and father hated each other but had been forced to marry when she conceived a child after a night of drunken fun and claimed him as the father, something he denied stringently. Something that happened to be true, the true father of the changeling baby wasn't the human that had raised her but a doppelganger spawn, another changeling that stole his face and slept with the human mother. For 12 years Layla endured a family she hated, constant unceasing bickering between her parents who, despite their differences, managed to produce a son who showed just as little potential as they and made the smaller more fragile Layla's life miserable. At the age of 12 she had grown so fed up with the lower intelligence of her family and their constant pettiness that she snapped, screamed at them to shut up and stop interrupting her reading. Her father, typically big and aggressive turned to slap some respect into the young woman only to find himself facing a raging inferno of flame and power. Illusion but still frightening enough to have him back off and order Layla to her room. She went but that night she robbed the house, stealing her mothers jewelry, her fathers weapons, her brothers toys all to be sold in town before she headed off to Avalon, the place with a library of repute and it was far away from home which only made it more appealing. Passing for older than she was with her changing nature she soon fell into the "care" of a wizard of minor power and a decent library named Darius who quickly sorted out she wasn't human and used her nature to his own benefit, forcing her to take a different beautiful shape every night for his pleasure. She wasn't ever clear if he knew her age but didn't think knowing she was under-aged would stop him. This went on for nearly a year until she'd grown tall enough to pass for Darius himself. When she realized her way out of her predicament when he came to her bed to pick his form for the night she slid a knife into his throat, hiding the body and taking over his appearance long enough to drain what few monies he had before she vanished again into the library, older, wiser and less likly to make friends. She lived like that, learning, turning her talents at language and words to writing notes for people who couldn't to earn coin to survive until she was old and strong enough to take up the true power-hunters profession, adventuring.
|Quest Name||Quest DM||Experiance||Gold/reward|
|Contrary Contraband Part One||Malcolm||500||150gp|
|A Bottle of Wine and Thou||Darkmask||500||625 gp|
|Breeding Ground of Evil||Darkmask||300||450 gp|
|Contrary Contraband Double Trouble||Malcolm||1,500||1500 GP, 1 potion of CLW|
|What Hath the Dragon Wrought||Darkmask||525||788, blessed bandage, mw light crossbow|
|A Sewer, a Sword, and Slobber||Darkmask||950||1,350 gp and Watch Lamp|
|Malignant Harvest Part Two||Darkmask||-||225 gp|
|Little Mouths Big Threats||Mythiv||300||500gp, 2 Cure Light Wounds Potions|
|Orc Girls Gone Wild||VS||935||867 gold, 1 potion of cure light wounds|